Nov 102010
 

ISO 80; f 2.8; 1/20; 7.7mm (Canon Powershot SD 950 IS)

When I first saw the theme “brown” I thought “UPS” — thus when I was working on Friday and our UPS man came in to deliver a package… I couldn’t help but ask him if I could take his photo.  He didn’t mind since everyone that was in the office at the time had already complimented him on his new hat.

The weird thing is, when I finally pulled the image out of the camera this morning, his uniform looked army green, not brown.  “What, the heck?,”  I said to myself.   The UPS logo was still brown, the counter top was still brown and I could see other hints of brown.  But not the uniform and hat.  How’s that for irony!

Regardless, I proceeded to make these changes hoping for the best in the end:

1)  Cropped the image so UPS man filled more of the frame.

2) Auto enhance preset in Aperture

3) Topaz Clean – Stylized Detail (toned the results down a bit through adjustments)

4) Back  in Aperture, changed the Green Hue to be more yellow.  I then painted the skin to remove the effects of the “yellow.”

5) Decreased the saturation of the Red hue (the orange lantern in the background was annoying me).

6) Decreased the Blue saturation — the chair in the background was too blue.

And there you have it… my UPS man.

Nov 042010
 

longhorn JC-correct 724

Wow!  This new Topaz bundle is fun!  Let’s see if I remember everything I did.

First… this is two photos.  I processed each of these in Aperture before opening them in Photoshop Elements 6.  I used the Topaz remask tool to cut out the longhorn skeleton heads.  The original photo was taken back in January and the heads were resting on the usual gravel that appears in half my photos.  I then ran the skeleton heads through Topaz adust to bring out the details and then placed these on a layer in the backround image.  I decided the background was too dominate, so I made a copy and then reduced it to 75% opacity.

I then decided that it needed a frame to tie it all together, so I followed (well sort of followed) Doris’ instructions on how to make a frame.

Then I imported it all back to Aperture and added the signature before exporting out in .jpg format.  I discovered that my plug-in software for the signature wouldn’t let me place it high enough in the photo to appear on the photo… that is why it is on the frame.  Let me know if that bugs you.

I suspect I may have done a few other things to the photos but it has taken me several evenings to do this.  I shall start keeping better notes.