Feb 132011
 

This is a composite of two photos… I took the photo of the family today but it was in the middle of a runway at one of the outdoor shows with lots of people and other things distracting the image.  I used Topaz ReMask from Photoshop to cut out the family.  The background is from an image that I took on January’s desert run…  After merging the two photos together, I ran it through Topaz Adjust.  I saved it as a .Tiff file and imported it into Aperture to do a bit of touch up on the image and then did one final pass to Topaz DeNoise.

The members of the Freedman family are Ty (Dad), Kristin (Mom), August (Cool Baby), and Tristin (Cook Kid).  The Freedman family own the RV Park that I live and work in.   The reason that I haven’t been posting any photos of late is because I have been working too much.  I guess it is appropriate that first day off and first photo blog post, I should take a photo of the some of the Freedman family.

I hope to get back to posting and commenting on fellow blogger photos this week!

Jan 172011
 

I thought it would be fun to put the whole story together in one picture.  This whole project from start to finish, took only 30 minutes.

If this is your starting point… you can jump back to the first photo and see each image individually and by theme.

All photos were taken without a tripod… just handheld.   I also had the camera set in P mode the majority of the time… although I did experiment, I believe the photos that I used for this exercise were when I had the camera in P mode.

All photos were run through Topaz DeJpeg and then minor adjustments made in Aperture.   This particular photo was put together in PSE.

The glassblower’s name is Jason Kimmel at www.ForestLampworking.com

Dec 252010
 

Guess what Santa Claus brought me?   A copy of Photoshop Elements 9!

This is a combination of two photos.  I first used Topaz Adjust (from PSE) on the Snowman, which is from a photo I took about a week ago. I then used Topaz ReMask with PSE  to cut this snowman from the photo.  The background is one of the accidental images I captured two nights ago when the parade of lighted vehicles came through the park.  After combining the two photos, I imported the new image into Aperture, tweaked the levels and added vibrancy to the blue sign and the reds, and tweaked the red hues a bit more. (I tried some of this in PSE, but find Aperture easier to use for this kind of work.)

Although I have been a Photoshop Elements user since the first version (and actually from a pre-version),  I still had version 6 on my Mac. I bought Aperture earlier this year and wanted to know it inside and out before I could reward myself with a new version of Photoshop Elements.  Recently, however, I decided to forego the PSE update  in order to take advantage of the discounted bundled price for Topaz. (And am SO glad that I did – let’s call that an early Christmas present!)  Good thing there is a Santa Claus because now I have everything I need.  Guess I better sign up for the 2011 Photowalk!

Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday!

Dec 142010
 

lemon_meringue_pie 733

ISO 80; f/2.8; 1/30; 7.7mm (Canon Powershot SD950 IS)

This lemon meringue pie was brought into this Monday’s bake sale fresh out of the oven.  It was sold in minutes of arriving.

I used Topaz Topaz ReMask to “cut” the photo out and Adobe Photoshop 6 to add the shadow.

Nov 042010
 

longhorn JC-correct 724

Wow!  This new Topaz bundle is fun!  Let’s see if I remember everything I did.

First… this is two photos.  I processed each of these in Aperture before opening them in Photoshop Elements 6.  I used the Topaz remask tool to cut out the longhorn skeleton heads.  The original photo was taken back in January and the heads were resting on the usual gravel that appears in half my photos.  I then ran the skeleton heads through Topaz adust to bring out the details and then placed these on a layer in the backround image.  I decided the background was too dominate, so I made a copy and then reduced it to 75% opacity.

I then decided that it needed a frame to tie it all together, so I followed (well sort of followed) Doris’ instructions on how to make a frame.

Then I imported it all back to Aperture and added the signature before exporting out in .jpg format.  I discovered that my plug-in software for the signature wouldn’t let me place it high enough in the photo to appear on the photo… that is why it is on the frame.  Let me know if that bugs you.

I suspect I may have done a few other things to the photos but it has taken me several evenings to do this.  I shall start keeping better notes.